Friday, November 7, 2014

Art Nouveau From Under The Sea


This poster for Pearl Beach is very Art Nouveau styled in my opinion. There's a lot of swirling and curvature in the line usage, there's a female figure motif with the swirling flow of her hair strands, and there are floral motifs present as well. It stuck out to me because of the vibrant color choices. Mostly greens and yellows are present, but there's a splash of red here and there. There's a very decorative border, which fits in nicely with the sea elements. The overall feel is very fairy tale inspired which works well with the function. I believe the function of this design is to get people interested in visiting the "awe-inspiring and beautiful" Pearl Beach. The typography on the left and right side as well as the bottom does throw me off, however. There's different phone numbers and locations listed, as well as a stock image purchasing option, so perhaps the function is actually about purchasing images such as these that are available at different locations. The book didn't give me a clear answer, so all I have to go off of is the image itself. I found this image in The Workbook Illustration Vol. 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment